Window Lock Fitting and Upgrades
Having Window Locks or additional window locks fitted to your windows, greatly narrows down the chance of suffering a burglary. It won’t always stop a burglary or a break-in but will buy you valuable time by slowing a thief down and may deter him enough that he gives up. Time greatly increases the chances of a burglar being spotted by someone, be it a member of the public, the homeowner, neighbour or a passing police constable
Most home insurance policies also state that you should have window locks fitted to all accessible windows as well as British Standard Kite Marked locks fitted to your entrance door.
Window Lock Supply and Fit
At Mr Lock Doc, we supply and fit all types and makes of window locks to all types of window, including UPVC, Aluminium, Composite, Wood and Steel framed. We can fit locks that are approved by your insurance policy and also upgrade your existing locks to comply.
Types of Window Lock and Restrictors we can fit are:
- Jackloc Window and Door Restrictors.
- ASEC Lockables.
- ERA Keyless Sash Fasteners.
- ASEC Mini Locking Cables.
- Patio Door Locks.
- Titon Alliance.
- Chubb UPVC Locks.
- Yale and ERA.
- Plus many more not listed here…
Window Lock Recommendations
We generally recommend having window locks fitted to all your windows, especially for safety if you have young children, but generally it is said that if a window can be forced by a burglar who is standing on a flat service, then that window should have a lock fitted. This means all your ground floor windows and windows “easily” accessible from the top of a flat roofed extension or a flat roofed outbuilding or porch
The Official Police Security Initiative or Secure By Design states in section 29 of their SBD New Homes 2014 Guide what is termed as “easily accessible”:
“It is difficult to give a comprehensive description of the term ‘easily accessible’. However, common sense dictates that easily accessible windows or doorsets are those that can be accessed via a flat roof, balcony or other similar structure e.g. external supporting or decorative balcony detail. ‘Easily Accessible’, in this context also means that access can be gained by two persons (one climbing, one assisting) without the use of a climbing aid, such as a ladder”.
This is advice that should be adhered to and all easily accessible and non-secure windows should have the correct and secure window locks fitted for burglary prevention.
What Is A Non-Secure Window?
- A window with no locks that can be opened easily from an exterior point either by tools or being forced.
- A window that has not been designed to be secure when fully closed and does not have locks.
- A window that does not have a security device fitted such as secondary glazing or a shutter.
- A window that has not been designed to PAS 24.
- A window with insufficient locks.
- A window that has locks but they are not secure enough.
- A window that has been left open even if deemed inaccessible.
- Any rear ground floor window.
- Any ground floor window on the side of a property.
- Any basement window.
- Any front facing ground floor window.
- Any rear facing first floor window above a flat roof or outbuilding.
- Any side first floor windows near to climbable pipes or other structure.
- Any front facing first floor window.
- Any rear loft window or skylight.
- Any side loft window.
- Any front loft window or skylight.
Family Run Business
Mr Lock Doc is a family run business with over 20 years experience based in the Latton Bush Centre and provides locksmith services to domestic, commercial and local authority customers. Mr Lock Doc has NO call out charges, we do not charge VAT and there are NO hidden charges, the quote I give you over the phone is the price you will pay. We are the most trusted locksmith in Essex and the South East and provide locksmith services that are Which Trusted Trader Approved, Trading Standards Approved and Police checked.
We aim to respond to and get to you within 30 minutes or less if you are within Essex including Harlow, Chelmsford, Romford, Basildon, Braintree, Cheshunt, Ilford, Dagenham, Bishops Stortford, Hatfield and the general area, so you can be assured that we will arrive to give you the best possible local locksmith service.